On completing the course, students will:
- Understand the importance of typography in communication design.
- Understand the aesthetic qualities of form, colour, texture, scale and composition within typography.
- Have learned to work expressively with typography within a number of contexts.
- Be aware of historical and contemporary typographic design practice.
Hands-on studio/workshop-based activities. Computer workshops. Introduction to sketchbook methodologies. Lectures and studies of typography in the context of the metaphor e.g. magazines, films, illustration, web-design. Typography within the context of architecture and landscape.
Learning and Teaching Activities:
- Lectures, workshops and demonstrations by tutors and professional artists/designers
- Studio-based project work
- Self-initiated research
- Group presentations and critiques, Gallery visits